Bat Halloween Craft
How to Make a Bat Craft
Scissors (THIS is my favorite brand and the ones that I always recommended as an Occupational Therapist!)
Halloween craft for preschool
This is a great halloween craft for preschoolers because it’s a fantastic way to work on scissor skills with a halloween activity.
First draw and cut a bat-ish shape on the cardstock. Kids can cut out the shape using their Scissors for great scissor skill work. The bat shape is a complex cutting shape and can be done by Elementary aged students. Cutting the angled wings and curves can be difficult, but by using the cardstock, kids will get a bit fore proprioceptive feedback from the thicker resistance of the paper material. To make the task easier, cut wings without the jagged lines or use thicker cutting lines when you draw the bat shape.
Once you have the bat, you’ll need to cut pieces of the black yarn. Have your child cut long or short pieces, it doesn’t really matter what length they wish to cut for their bat’s texture. Cutting the yarn is a great material to practice appropriate scissor positioning and bilateral hand coordination.
If a child is holding the scissors on an angle, cutting the yarn will be more difficult. (You may see them trying to “saw” at the yarn!) Encourage them to hold the scissors straight up and down and the blades of the scissors at a 90 degree angle to the yarn. You can find more of our Scissor Skills activities.
Next, pour some glue into a shallow dish or plate. Show your child how to drag the yarn through the glue and get it nice and saturated with the glue. Use both hands to pinch and “scrape” off excess glue from the piece of yarn. Next, drape the black yarn on the bat shape. You can let your child get as creative as they wish with this part. Some might like to outline the bat shape and others, just pile it up on the bat. Let the glue and yarn harden and you’ll have a textured bat craft to use in Halloween decor this Fall. You will have to wait for the glue to dry, probably overnight.
Handwriting Practice with a bat craft!
Halloween party idea for kids
- Split kids up into teams. Give each team a collection of cut black yarn and a bowl of glue.
- Write a Halloween word on the board or hold up a sign with a Halloween word.
- Each team has to work together to use the cut yarn and glue to spell the Halloween word on a piece of paper or cardboard.
- Once a team has completed the word, they have to hold up their paper or cardboard. The first team to spell the word with the letters sticking wins! (Too much glue or not enough glue will make this a fun race for Halloween parties for kids of all ages.)
Halloween Craft Ideas
- Make a Spider Craft using potato stamps. Fun for parties or just Halloween fun with the kids!
- Use cookie cutters and chalk to make Halloween Chalk Art. It’s a messy and sensory Halloween activity that the whole family can get involved in.
- Looking for variety with your Halloween party ideas? Try these Spanish Halloween Activities.
- These Pumpkin Ice Painting art is fun and a great way to explore the senses at a party this Fall.