This pretend play pizza shop was a huge hit back when my kids were younger. They loved pretending to cook pizza and serve it inside our pretend pizza store. We made a felt pizza to target fine motor skills, but the kids didn’t know that…they were just having fun!
Pretend Play Pizza Shop
felt pizza diy
We started by making a felt pizza DIY toy. This is something we used in our pretend kitchen set, and in our pretend pizza shop. It’s super easy to make. You’ll need just a few items to make the felt pizza. And, it’s all no-sew, so it’s a quick DIY felt food activity to pull together.
- Brown felt (any fabric would work, really)
- White felt
- Red felt
- Green felt
- Grey felt
To make the felt pizza DIY food, grab a pizza pan from your kitchen. You’ll use that as a template to size the pizza correctly.
- Place the brown fabric or felt on the pizza pan. Cut the fabric into a circle. This will be the crust for your pizza. You want it to be slightly smaller than the pizza pan.
- Next, place the brown felt circle on the red fabric. Cut a slightly smaller circle from the red felt. You want the red fabric, which will be the pretend pizza sauce to sit on top of the brown crust.
- Repeat that step using the white felt. Place the red felt circle on the white fabric. Cut a slightly smaller circle from the white felt. You want the white fabric, which will be the pretend pizza cheese to sit on top of the red sauce.
- Next, cut small circles from the red fabric. This will be the pretend pepperoni.
- Cut small curved pieces from the green felt. This will be the pretend peppers.
- Last, cut mushroom shapes from the grey felt.
That’s it! Now, you can layer the felt pieces to create your DIY felt pizza!
Turn a little Tyke Playhouse into a pretend Pizza Shop
Next is the fun part of our pretend pizza shop. We turned our outdoor plastic play house into a pretend pizza shop for dramatic play! You could use a little tyke playhouse, or use any type of outdoor play space.