Kiddos with sensory or developmental problems might have trouble crossing mid-line. You might know a child who has trouble making both hands work together to accomplish a task like handwriting, cutting with scissors, tying shoes, buttoning a shirt, or catching a ball. Bilateral coordination is necessary for many functional activities!
Bilateral Coordination and Functional Activities
Bilateral coordination activities are needed for activities where each hand does the same job (jumping jacks, movement games like the Hokey Pokey, and pulling up pants). Other tasks require both hands to do different jobs in a coordinated way (holding the paper and writing with a pencil, holding paper and cutting with scissors, tying shoes, fastening a zipper, weaving a loom, or putting on a coat).
Four Leaf Clover Bilateral Activity
- While drawing, watch the child for stiffness in the hand, wrist, or arm.
- Be aware of whole body movements. Arm motions should come from the shoulders.
- Remind the child to keep their eyes fixed on the dot at the center of the clover.
- Remind the child to keep the writing utensils in contact with the paper. They shouldn’t lift the crayons at all.
- Watch for bilateral coordination, ensuring that both arms are moving at the same speed, distance, and positioning.
- Draw the four leaf clover on paper and have the child sit to perform the re-tracing activity.
- Do this activity on a driveway or sidewalk using chalk.
- Draw in the air with pointer fingers.
- Draw in a sand table.
- Use finger paints.
- Use ribbon sticks in the air.
- Use musical instruments like bells or maracas.
amzn_assoc_placement = “adunit0”;
amzn_assoc_search_bar = “true”;
amzn_assoc_tracking_id = “sugaun-20”;
amzn_assoc_ad_mode = “manual”;
amzn_assoc_ad_type = “smart”;
amzn_assoc_marketplace = “amazon”;
amzn_assoc_region = “US”;
amzn_assoc_title = “My Amazon Picks”;
amzn_assoc_linkid = “9a625dc16644a58653f5d462ef0909ca”;
amzn_assoc_asins = “B002UJFAO0,B00006IE0U,B011TNIWII,0942143051”;
Our favorite ways to work on gross motor skills:
Dinosaur Gross Motor Game