Grab this bird play dough mat to work on hand strength and improve fine motor skills with a bird theme!
Sometimes, adding a motor component to a leaning theme can be a strategy to help kids learn through play while boosting the fine motor skills they need for tasks like holding a pencil grasp, having endurance in coloring and writing, and improved dexterity in pencil control, which plays a big part in fluid and legible letter formation. This bird theme play dough mat is a free printable that you can print off and use over and over again to work on hand strength such as intrinsic muscle strength kids need for these tasks and other fine motor skills.
Bird Play Dough Mat
You may have seen some of the other play dough mats we’ve shared recently. Our free printable play mats included (so far): an Astronaut Play Dough Mat, Outer Space Play Dough Mat, and an Ice Cream Play Dough Mat. You may want to grab the original intrinsic muscle hand strengthening play dough mat that we’ve had on the site for some time. It’s a basic sheet of circles in various sizes, but the exercise is perfect for really working those intrinsics!
The bird play dough mat that you can download below will be a tool for strengthening little hands in a big way!
Why Use a Play Dough Mat for Hand Strengthening?
Grab the Free Printable Bird Play Dough Mat
Want to strengthen the muscles in the hand to improve pencil grasp, scissor use, coloring, or fine motor coordination and endurance?
- Match a different color play dough to the different colored birds
- Fill all of the blue birds, then all of the yellow birds…
- Write numbers in the circles in random order. They can then scan across the play dough mat to challenge visual perceptual skills.
- Use the right hand to roll play dough balls for the circles on the left side of the playdough mat and use the left hand to roll play dough balls for the circles on the right side of the playdough mat.
- There are so many ways to play and use this play dough mat for learning and play WHILE strengthening fine motor skills!