If you are looking for family fun night ideas, look no further. We love a good family fun day, but sometimes you need a game night with the family or just a way to spend an evening. These family night ideas will keep you busy and building memories!
Family Fun Night
A typical Friday night or Saturday night with the family doesn’t need to mean everyone is off in their rooms watching screens. Get the whole family together for a family fun night!
Family fun night doesn’t need to be complicated. Whether you are thinking a movie night, playing board games, or doing activities, we’ve got you covered.
Family Fun Night Ideas
- Create a whole themed night around a game. Gather board games, card games, or video games for an evening of friendly competition. Here are our favorite board games that are modified to develop skills and learning through play.
- If you’ve got kids who love the rainbow loom craze, get busy creating with DIY rubber band rings (Kids Activities Blog).
- Make your own shaped tortilla chips as a family. Enjoy dipping and watch for double-dippers!
- If the weather is nice, take a family walk and go on a Family nature walk. Collect signs of nature and create pretty flower collage art.
- Movie marathon: Pick a theme or series of movies to watch back-to-back with plenty of popcorn and snacks.
- DIY pizza party: Let everyone personalize their own pizzas with a variety of toppings.
- Indoor picnic: Spread out a blanket on the living room floor and enjoy a picnic-style dinner.
- Family Talent show: Showcase your family’s talents with performances, skits, or musical numbers.
- Arts and crafts night: Engage in a creative activity like painting, sculpting, or making jewelry together. Use these occupational therapy crafts that develop skills.
- Campout at home: Set up tents in the living room or backyard for a cozy indoor camping experience.
- Puzzle challenge: Work together to complete a challenging jigsaw puzzle as a team.
- Science experiments: Conduct fun and educational science experiments at home using household items.
- Karaoke night: Sing your hearts out with a karaoke machine or YouTube karaoke videos.
- Outdoor movie night: Set up a projector and screen in your backyard and enjoy a movie under the stars.
- Scavenger hunt: Create a scavenger hunt with clues and riddles for the whole family to solve.
- Theme night: Choose a theme such as superheroes, pirates, or the 80s, and dress up accordingly.
- Mini-Olympics: Set up a series of backyard or indoor games and compete in a family Olympics. Add some Olympics activities!
- Cookie baking contest: Have a friendly competition to see who can bake the most delicious cookies.
- Storytelling night: Take turns telling stories or make up a collaborative story together.
- Build a fort: Use blankets, pillows, and furniture to build a cozy fort for reading or playing games.
- Outdoor adventure: Go for a hike, bike ride, or nature walk in a nearby park or trail.
- Family photo shoot: Dress up, find a scenic location, and take family portraits together.
- DIY spa night: Create a relaxing spa experience at home with face masks, foot baths, and massages.
- Family book club: Choose a book to read together and discuss it during a special book club night. Pair these preschool books with activities.
- Family cooking challenge: Select a secret ingredient and see who can come up with the tastiest dish using it.
- Sports night: Play a game of basketball, soccer, or another sport in your backyard or at a local park.
- Build a model: Work together to assemble a model car, plane, or ship.
- Outdoor game tournament: Organize a tournament with games like cornhole, horseshoes, or ladder toss. Here are more outdoor lawn games.
- Family dance party: Clear some space, create a playlist, and dance together.
- DIY ice cream sundae bar: Set up a variety of toppings and let everyone create their own delicious sundae.
- Family video game competition: Play multiplayer video games and see who comes out on top.
- Painting night: Get out the easels, paints, and brushes for a family painting session.
Family yoga or exercise session: Follow a guided family yoga video or do a workout routine together.
Family gardening: Start a small garden or tend to existing plants, teaching children about plants and nature. Why not make a sensory garden?
- Backyard camping and stargazing: Pitch a tent, roast marshmallows, and enjoy the night sky.
- Family trivia night: Test your knowledge with trivia questions and see who knows the most.
- Visit a local museum or art gallery: Explore the exhibits and learn something new together.
- DIY movie production: Write a short script, assign roles, and create your own family movie.
- Create a time capsule: Gather meaningful items and bury them in the backyard to be opened in the future.
DIY mini-golf course: Create your own mini-golf course using household items and have a friendly competition.
Family bike ride: Take a bike ride together, exploring your neighborhood or a nearby bike trail.
- Write a message to your future self! This is fun for the whole family.
- Family volunteer.