Flower crafts are a great occupational therapy tool to develop fine motor skills, visual motor skills, executive functioning skills, and other child development areas. Here, you’ll find creative ways to support skills through craft ideas. Add these ideas to your Spring occupational therapy activities or your Spring crafts.
Flower Crafts for Occupational Therapy
Spring is in the air. And depending on where you live, lots of heat or lots of rain! Let’s celebrate the beginning of May with flowers. These are our favorite flower crafts that we have done, and you may have missed. We’ve added some of our favorite flower crafts for kids from around the web, too. Click around and check out a few new blogs and find lots of flowery fun for the kids!
Start with some of these flower crafts to support the development of scissor skills, eye-hand coordination, and precision:
- Cupcake Liner Flowers– Snip the cupcake liners and develop scissor skills.
- Foam Flower Craft– Use materials from the dollar store to work on eye-hand coordination and finger isolation.
- Cupcake Liner Sunflower Craft– Work on precision, pincer grasp, in hand manipulation, and separation of the sides of the hand with this sunflower craft.
- Gift Bow Stamp Art- Use a gift bow to make fun flowers. This is a great heavy work and process art activity for sensory input and eye-hand coordination skills.
- Paper Clip Flowers and Play Dough– This fine motor strengthening activity uses flowers made from paper clips for a great hand strengthening activity.
- Pipe Cleaner Flower– This flower craft is a great fine motor activity for kids, but also works as a DIY zipper pull to help children become more functional with self care.
Kids will also love making these flower snacks, too, for a full flower theme in therapy or at home!
Flower crafts for kids
Paper Plate Daffodils from Here Come the Girls
Marbled Coffee Filter Flower from Frogs and Snails and Puppy Dog Tails
This flower craft uses items from the recycle bin. Add it to some other recycled crafts for Earth Day fun while building skills.
What is your favorite flower? Have you made a craft with that flower?
A few more Flower Crafts and Activities
More flower themed crafts and activities can be found in our Spring Fine Motor Kit! Designed to build fine motor strength, dexterity, endurance, and manipulation of tools like crayons, markers, glue bottles, and scissors, the Spring Fine Motor Kit has you covered with flower tissue paper crafts, flower push pin activities, and writing flower names to develop handwriting skills.
Colleen Beck, OTR/L is an occupational therapist with 20+ years experience, graduating from the University of Pittsburgh in 2000. Colleen created The OT Toolbox to inspire therapists, teachers, and parents with easy and fun tools to help children thrive. As the creator, author, and owner of the website and its social media channels, Colleen strives to empower those serving kids of all levels and needs. Want to collaborate? Send an email to email@example.com.